- Download and fill in the questionnaire: https://www.pmlp.gov.lv/lv/media/7742/download
- Sign it with an electronic signature and send the signed copy to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Someone from pmlp.gov.lv will contact you via email in the next couple of days and ask you to provide a copy of your passport or ID card. You can take photos of both sides of your ID card or the image page of your passport with your phone and send these.
- After a week or so, you’ll receive a pdf confirming your application and containing your new Latvian ID code. Print out this pdf as you’ll need it in the next steps.
- You now need to physically go to an office to give your signature and fingerprints. You can either pick one of the Latvian offices from this list: https://www.pmlp.gov.lv/en/branches or a diplomatic representation abroad (scroll to the bottom of this article https://www.pmlp.gov.lv/en/article/read-and-find-out-what-foreigners-eid-card-what-provided-and-how-acquire-it to see the available locations). Good to know:
- Contact the chosen office beforehand to see whether they require an appointment to be booked in advance or not.
- There’s a high chance that they only speak Latvian or Russian in the Latvian offices. I personally speak neither of these languages, but I managed to get by with Google Translate.
- A photo of you will also be taken on the location.
- Do not forget to take the pdf that you printed out in step 4 with you.
- Do not forget to take the same passport or ID card that you used in step 3 with you.
- You need to pay a 80 EUR fee on the location (for up to date fees, see this article: https://www.pmlp.gov.lv/en/article/read-and-find-out-what-foreigners-eid-card-what-provided-and-how-acquire-it). This can be paid by card.
- Once all the procedures are completed on the location, they’ll give you a confirmation printout and the date for when you can collect your eID card.
- You can collect your eID card at the same office on the collection date or later. They will not send it by mail. Be prepared to show the confirmation printout that you received in step 6.
- Done! Congratulations! You now have a Latvian eID card that you can use to sign documents and access Latvian e services.
Good to know
- Latvian foreinger’s eID card can NOT be used to register for an eParaksts mobile account.
- Latvian foreinger’s eID card IS NOT a mandatory personal identity document. The receipt of it is a voluntary choice of a person.
- Latvian foreinger’s eID card IS NOT a travel document. It does not confirm the right of stay of a person in Latvia.